Just because I’m a hippie and like my kids to eat healthy doesn’t mean they never get any sweet treats. They definitely do. But we do it the hippie way! Here’s one of our favorite sweet treat breakfasts.
- 6 slices homemade or store-bought organic whole wheat bread
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- organic sugar (brown is fine!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound organic strawberries
- 1-2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
I like to leave the butter out overnight so that it’s nice and soft and ready to go when I wake up. If you forget, though, just microwave it for like 25-30 seconds.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Combine butter, a few tablespoons of sugar (to taste), cinnamon, and vanilla extract. It’s ok if it’s not perfectly combined, but try to get it smooth.
2. Using the back of a spoon, spread the mixture onto the bread. Don’t be stingy and make sure you cover the entire piece of bread, all the way to the edges. Place them on a baking sheet.
3. Pop them in the oven. Check on them after about 10 minutes.
4. While those are in the oven, prepare your strawberries. Cut off the green tops and half or quarter them. We like to quarter them.
5. Add the lemon juice (you can use a regular lemon or even limes, we just used Meyer lemons because they were on sale that week). Add 1 Tbsp of sugar (or more if you like). Toss to combine.
6. When your toast is golden and smelling irresistible, take it out of the oven. Cut the pieces in half, diagonally.
7. Watch your kids gobble it up.
Easy peasy! Super quick and yummy treat for breakfast.