I love me some homemade hair and skin products! I used only homemade, all natural hair products for about 7 months and my hair thrived. It grew so long and thick and healthy. And then, for some reason, I decided to try some store-bought stuff. It wasn’t bad but my hair wasn’t nearly as happy as it was when I was doing my own thing. So I switched back. I know I’m not the only person guilty of constantly trying new things even when I have a system that works great. I will never stray from my all-natural stuff again!
My husband is growing himself a lil ‘fro (which I really like!) and he also uses the stuff that I make. He actually requests it! I also use it on my girls and their hair loves it too. Here is my latest recipe which is working fabulously for all 4 of us and we all have 4 different textures and curl patterns.
Ingredients & Tools
- 200 g shea butter, room temperature or slightly warmer, but not melted (unrefined is preferred but I used refined because that was all I had on hand)
- 55 g mango butter, room temperature
- 50 g coconut oil
- 20 drops rosehip essential oil
- 15 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- medium bowl for mixing
- electric mixer
- container for storage
- Put all your ingredients in your bowl.
2. Mix with your mixer for a minute or two. Get it nice and smooth.
3. Spoon into your container. I used a 16 ounce container and it worked perfectly.
That’s it! It is smooth, almost lotion like. I like to spritz with my moisturizing mist first, then put this on. I also use it right after a wash, to smooth down edges, or when my hair needs it. A little goes a long way. Since there’s no water in it, it will keep for quite some time. To extend its shelf life further, add a little vitamin E oil. I bet it would be good on skin too!